Posts on My Other Blog - "When Inside Voices Come Out"

Join the Cause - or Donate Today

Saturday, September 25, 2010

'Samuel's Ear' - and an old story

For a long time I have been fascinated with one particular aspect of a relationship with God - the fact that He is a communicator and that He is always communicating with us. I regularly are drawn to passages of Scripture where God is communicating with His people. There are wonderful stories of God speaking to Abram and Moses, telling them things, showing them things that were vivid and in full technicolor. There was the time when God Spoke to Elijah and He did not reveal Himself in fire, or a mighty wind or an earthquake - no, He chose to speak to Elijah in a still small voice. There was the time when a little boy who was living and serving in the temple was asleep and was awakened by someone calling his name. After three episodes where the little boy wakes his master, he is told to listen to the voice and simply tell the Lord that he is listening.

All throughout the pages of the Bible there is communication after communication from heaven to earth. Jesus himself was the epitome of receptive listening when He declared that He didnt say anything unless He first heard his Father in heaven say it and He didnt do anything unless He saw His Father in heaven do it. Wow! That is communication. That is being in tune with someone, watching their every move and following their lead.

So why do we struggle so much with God speaking to us today?

Where are the hands writing on walls, and the voices from heaven directing and guiding us? Why is it that we seem to wander in the dark so much looking for a direction when all we truly need to do is stop, listen and then move wherever He sends us.

I was reminded tonight of how God showed us that our current house was the house He had prepared for us. I remember the afternoon we first came here. I felt this was our home immediately, but it wasnt what we were looking for. I remember standing in the front yard looking at the house asking God for a huge neon sign to appear that said "THIS ONE!" or "KEEP LOOKING!". The signage angel never appeared.

There wasnt a fire, there wasnt an earthquake, there wasnt a mighty wind. There was a still small voice. That voice told me to go read Jeremiah 29:28. Why that verse? Well the house I was standing in front of was number 2928 - and God knew what He wrote at that reference in Jeremiah.

That evening I read Jeremiah 29:17 - because I am a fallen being who cant remember a house number. I was a little surprised and disappointed when I read, 'this is what the LORD Almighty says: "I will send the sword, famine and plague against them and I will make them like poor figs that are so bad they cannot be eaten.'

Not quite the word of confirmation I was looking for. My wife reminded me of the correct address and I read Jeremiah 2928. It says this, 'He has sent this message to us in Babylon: It will be a long time. Therefore build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce.'
 The whisper of God told me that this was where He had brought us to - 3000 miles from our old home - to this address, to be here to serve Him.

I have tried to follow the whispers of God whenever I hear them. I have started new ventures, I have stopped existing efforts and I have made some major blunders, but all of them in the pursuit of listening to the whispers of God.

Last week I responded to the latest whisper I believe God spoke - I stepped down from my positions of leadership at our church. This was not an easy decision to make, but I have learned that when the Lord whispers and calls your name you need to stop and say, 'Speak Lord, for your servant is listening' - just like that little boy in the temple so long ago - little Samuel.

I am not sure where this step will lead to, but I know that I can do nothing but follow the whisper. When Moses led the children of Israel through the desert, he followed the cloud and the pillar of fire - it was that simple. Wherever those objects moved to, there Moses took the nation. A straight line journey from Egypt to the promised land would have taken about 11 days - Moses led the people in the desert for 40 years. An entire generation had to pass before Joshua could cross the Jordan.

I do not know how long we will be in this place before the Lord whispers the next step. One thing I am praying for though is that I will have Samuel's ear - ready to listen for the whisper, and once I hear that sound, then I pray that I would have the courage to go where He sends me/us.

This is an awfully exciting journey for us and I would covet your prayers at this time as we seek His face and listen for His voice. I would encourage you to not listen to speculation or hearsay of what we intend to do or not do. When God shows us His plan for us, I will be sure to share it. If it doesnt come from me, then dont listen to it.

God bless. This is going to be an awfully big adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment