Posts on My Other Blog - "When Inside Voices Come Out"

Join the Cause - or Donate Today

Monday, January 4, 2010

So It Begins


So this weekend we launched "210 in 2010" - there is no going back now. The response has been great. From supportive friends and family wishing me all the best, to generous friends donating hard cash already - you can do so at the 210 in 2010 Cause location on Facebook (click here) - to promises of over $1250 if I reach my target of 210lbs by October 20th 2010.

Now the realization sets in that there is no turning back, there is no 'mulligan', there is no do-over. And to be honest, that is the way I wanted to set up this challenge. How often do we set ourselves challenges in life only to build in such a safety net that failure is an option. In fact, how often do we set ourselves a challenge and plan things in such a way that failure is actually a goal!!

As I thought about this challenge I fought between my academic head, and the passion in my heart. I can show you through research that exercise is bad for you and the potential pit-falls of exercise. I can also show you the research that tells me how long my muscles will hurt for as soon as I begin to exercise - my entire PhD covered that marvelous subject. as I look ahead at the next 287 days and see the finish line, I can see all of the mountains, all of the set backs, all of the problems that potentially will de-rail this challenge.

BUT (thats a big but - however it too will get smaller :))

When I see the response that this challenge has already brought to people - the awareness of hurting children who need loved and cared for, the promise of financial donations, the encouragement that others might be able to achieve their goals then all I can do is smile. I will endure the pain, the denial of donuts - as I write this I am in Panera bread smelling the fresh bagels, thankfully there is no calorie intake through smell - I will endure the low points and the difficult times and press on towards the end goal. As I do so I know I will be encouraged all along the way, but more importantly, I will be joined in this cause by many wonderful people.

So here we go, big me becoming less, great God becoming more and children of the world being cared for. What a year this will be. Food intake is under control, just need to persevere until the adaptation becomes normal. Today we head to the gym - haven't been in one of those outside of a professional capacity in a long, long time.

the FAT man.

No comments:

Post a Comment