Posts on My Other Blog - "When Inside Voices Come Out"

Join the Cause - or Donate Today

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Move Over Static Bike - Hello Snow Shovel!!

So, followers of this blog will have recently read of my exploits on a bicycle in an R.P.M. class. Well, it is official. There is an easier way to burn 800 calories and, barring any tragic accident, you will not come away walking like you have been on a horse all day. Just think, exercise, calorie burn, and the ability to sit down comfortably afterward.

What can it be? Is it possible?Could there truly be such an activity?

Yes there is - shoveling snow!!

I mentioned this the other day, but I knew as soon as I posted it that there would have been some haters out there, so in true Mythbusters fashion I designed a quick test and the results are in.

Thanks to a Polar heart monitor (aptly named) I got myself ready, picked up my trusted shovel and headed to the blizzard. Click "START" on the wrist watch and begin. Steady pace, nothing fancy, no stopping for breaks until the worst thing possible happened. Driving the shovel into the icy stuff at the bottom of the driveway was all going well until that final thrust.

Thrust!

craCK!

SNAP!!

There stood I. Handle in hand, shovel buried in icy mess. NUTS! My shovel broke!! Ah well, nothing left to do but go into the house and check the results. SO here is what I found:

Time Shoveling - 57:19
Time in HR Zone - 53:18
AVG HR - 134
MAX HR - 150
CALORIES - 776

Time for a cup of tea and a cookie. I think I may have earned it.

So if you are missing the gym, get out there and shovel. If you have completely shoveled all your driveways and sidewalks yet still want that work out then come over to my house - I will let you shovel my driveway. Might even let you wear the heart monitor too. Now I know you want to come over.

1 comment:

  1. In addition to cardio, one must incorporate a weigth training program as well. This in turns burns calories while resting. Visit any online fitness resource on periodical. More muscle creates increased metablolism also burns more cals and sustains long-term within range weght limits.

    ReplyDelete